What's your Autumn word?

Site-Wide Activity Forums Living Room General chit chat What's your Autumn word?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Acharya Kaspalita (temple host) 2 months ago.

• Author

bookI usually pick a ‘word for the year’ in January to guide me, and this year I’m feeling called to choose an extra word, an Autumn word, to help me set an intention for the months to come.

September still has that ‘back to school’ feel for me, and after a summer of breaks and different projects, I’m now back at my desk. I have been hearing three words in my head for the past few weeks, maybe spoken by Amida, maybe my subconscious – ‘just sit quietly’.

And so I’m going to choose this word for my Autumn: spaciousness. Those who know me won’t be surprised – this is one of my life-long koans – how can I work less? How can I bear the spaces when they open up?

And… this word feels like a gift. It is naming a process that is already unfolding – a softening, an easing up, a deeper acceptance of me-as-I-am-now. The layers of ambition are still slowly peeling away, and I’m finding more enjoyment in lollygagging (glorious word!) and rest.

I have an hour before my client work begins, and I am going to turn off my laptop as soon as I’ve finished this piece to make myself a cup of chicory and read my new favourite author, Anne Wilson Schaef. Maybe I’ll pop out and visit the temple bunnies.

What will your Autumn word be?

Anonymous

I’m not sure if the word of choice should be negative or positive, but my autumn word every year would be ‘lost’. For some reason I struggle with the transition from summer to autumn and the changes that it brings: children going back to school/uni, the drawing in of the evenings which, initially, feel very claustrophobic, as well as the dull, sunless days. I usually feel a bit more comfortable with it all by the end of November. I try desperately every year to change my mindset but it seems so ingrained now after so many years.

Going to go off now to come up with something positive..!

I’ve just looked over at my wall shrine and there’s a bit of paper pinned to it which says ‘Stop!’ I think that still needs to be my word. I frequently, throughout every day need to tell my brain to stop chewing at hopeless damaging pathways. Namo Amida Bu!

Anonymous

I’ve tried looking at this from a different (positive) angle and the word which popped into my head for Autumn is ‘beginnings’.  I felt as though I was lost and wandering alone until discovering Pureland Buddhism a few weeks ago. My path to Buddhism has been a long and confusing one but I finally feel like something has clicked into place. So for this this year,  Autumn brings a new beginning.

What a lovely thought, Karen. Every time I say, ‘stop’, that’s a potential new beginning too. I hope your Pureland Buddhist journey is a good one. Namo Amida Bu!

Hi everyone, lovely thoughtful responses, thank you for sharing. What’s my word? The first thing that came to mind was, ‘keep going’.

There is a lovely chapter in S.K. Kubose’s Bright Dawn where he takes that as a mantra. The whole book is based around his morning run, and having just starting running again – I can relate!

The other words that come to mind were prompted by someone asking me about personal missions recently. When I’ve been asked this in the past I’ve usually thought of the personal vow, that I made when I was ordained, but this time something different came to mind: To listen deeply to the Buddha. So perhaps ‘listen’ might also be an autumn word for me.

Hi everyone, lovely thoughtful responses, thank you for sharing. What’s my word? The first thing that came to mind was, ‘keep going’.

There is a lovely chapter in S.K. Kubose’s Bright Dawn where he takes that as a mantra. The whole book is based around his morning run, and having just starting running again – I can relate!

The other words that come to mind were prompted by someone asking me about personal missions recently. When I’ve been asked this in the past I’ve usually thought of the personal vow, that I made when I was ordained, but this time something different came to mind: To listen deeply to the Buddha. So perhaps ‘listen’ might also be an autumn word for me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar