What is good change?

Site-Wide Activity Forums Shrine Room Buddhist Q&A What is good change?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ananda 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

A question forwarded from Yaya: (here she is)

“As I am moving from Ontario Street in Vancouver, to Ontario province, in the other side of the country I realize the depth of my gratitude for my freedom of mobility, the positive perspectives of adjustment I see in whatever context I live.
    All my “things” collected over the many years are now in 20 boxes. My intent is that from now on I will reduce this bundle, let go attachment for books…among other items, and soon I will have only 10 boxes to transport.
    The seasons change, and nature once again shows the cycle of life itself.
    Dharmavidya is right. Most things are impermanent, and changes are constant, forever…
    My questions:
    What is a good change? What are good reasons for remaining the same?
    Namo Amida Bu”

What do we think, folks? Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks for your question Yaya. It feels like a difficult one! How do we know when we should persevere, resist changing for changes sake, and how do we know when the time is ripe for change?

For me, the answer involves intuition. If I feel an urgency to change, then sometimes this means I am moving from a place of fear rather than love. I also know that being afraid of change is often a GOOD sign… that some part of me is being stretched into a deeper faith.

Mostly, I feel like I don’t have too much control over when change happens, like fruit slowly ripening on a tree. When the fruit is ripe, it’s ripe. Patience is important, and trusting that things happen in ‘Amida’s time’ rather than ours.

I’d be interested in other’s experiences of change…

Hi Yaya and all,

My process these days is much more about paying attention to what is already occurring, rather than trying to make a conscious choice one way or the other. This is about making time to invite all the different parts of myself into awareness, as much as I can.

So it’s much more a process of watching things emerge, and making choices based on that (or following choices that have already been made) rather than a top down model.

This is also about starting from the place where I really am, rather than the place I would like to be.

Faith that I am loved by Amida, just as I am, supports this process.

If you need more concrete guides then you can ask, “Does this take me closer to keeping the precepts or further away?”and then “Is this change realistic and feasible?” or anther way of saying it, “Does this change make it easier for me to practice or more difficult?”

I try to accept change whatever. Last year I found myself living alone after many years living with my daughter and granddaughter. I would of preferred to have stayed as I was. The year has proved to be quite positive I have grown in myself. I’ve discovered myself a bit more, I’m stronger than I thought. I’ve also been drawn to my faith more and have enjoyed this.

My daughter is due to have another baby a little girl that she has named Isabella  and I look forward to meeting my new granddaughter. As does Ashlee my eldest granddaughter who has also adapted well to the changes she has had.

My daughter is also planning her wedding in December.

Sometimes things do just happen, I go with the flow and tell myself nothing is permenant and one shouldn’t cling so much. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Things will change whatever. Often the change can be nice, different an challenging.

Ananda
    Participant

There is always change. Good and Bad are just thoughts (judgments). However, there are definitely directions and choices which are better — more conducive to living a compassionate and beneficial life — than others. Cling to the vision of the Pureland. It is quite a wonderful and inspiring vision. Let it guide your life.  To echo Kaspa, the precepts are a tremendous support and protection. They are expressions of awakening (Buddha). When our actions drift away from the precepts we are in spiritual peril.

Life is difficult and our own vision is very circumscribed. Often we cannot see the results of the choices we make. Choices that seem to have produced a “bad” result may end up being quite beneficial. The reverse may also true. Trust in Amida. Keep Amida in your heart. Say the Nembutsu. Good or Bad, Say Nembutsu. Happy or Sad, Say Nembutsu. Confused or Clear, Say Nembutsu.

Namo Amida Bu!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar