Skip to toolbar

Vegan – gluten free – vanilla cake

Site-Wide Activity Forums Kitchen Vegan Cakes & Desserts Vegan – gluten free – vanilla cake

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Satya and I are both vegan, and all the food served at public events here at the temple is vegan. We think it’s good for animals and good for the planet. We have someone with Celiac’s disease in our community (a severe gluten allergy), and someone who is allergic to fruit, and chocolate. Sometimes making dessert can be a challenge.

Today I wanted to make a celebration cake, for a refuge ceremony, that suited all these people. I adapted this from another recipe, and it seems to work well.

Vegan, gluten-free vanilla cake

440g Self raising gluten free flour*
      400g Castor sugar
      1/2 tsp Gluten free baking powder
      1 tsp Salt
      480 ml Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
      4 tsp  Vanilla Extract
      160 ml Rape seed  (canola) oil
      2 tsp White wine vinegar

*I used Dove gluten-free flour, which is a mix, and also includes a stabiliser, Xantham gum. If your flour doesn’t have this, you may need to add it.

Pre-heat oven to 180 c. Grease two 9″ cake tins. Mix all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Whisk together, wet and dry ingredients. Make sure everything is combined, but don’t over work the batter.

Bang the side of the bowl, or lift it up and put of down again firmly, with some force, to get any initial bubble from the mix. As soon as the wet and dry go together, the vinegar activates the raising agent.

Pour into the tins. Give the tins a bang, to get the bubbles out again, and put them in the oven.

It will take about 30mins to cook, but check after 20. If your oven is anything like mine, you can swap the top and bottom cakes around after 20 mins, so they bake evenly.

The cake will come away from the edge of the tin slightly, when done, and spring back if you gently press on the top. If you’re not sure, a skewer pushed into the cake should come out clean (although, I find with vegan cakes, some moisture on the skewer is fine, but you shouldn’t see any batter).

I’ll post another image, when it’s icied, later, and I’ll let you know what everyone thinks!

looking forward to tasting it….

So – I forgot to take a photo when it was iced! But it worked very well, and all the cake went very quickly, which is usually a good sign.

My only comment would be that next time I’d either reduce the amount of sugar, as it was a little too sweet for my palette, and/or add something sharp to cut through the sweetness, a layer of tart jam, or lemon curd, perhaps. Of course, that wouldn’t work for the fruit-allergy-sufferer, but I think it would improve the cake for the rest of us.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.