Skip to toolbar

The Solstice and Pure Love

Site-Wide Activity Forums Shrine Room Buddhist Teachings The Solstice and Pure Love

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Today is ‘mid-winter’ the shortest day of the year. I guess that means that last night or tonight will be the longest night of the year.

Lots of faith traditions have celebrations and festivals around mid-winter. At this darkest time of the year we celebrate to remember that spring will come again. We remember that the natural world moves from light to dark and to light again, that it flourishes and hibernates, that it is a cycle.

We also remember that in our spiritual practice there is always light, even in the darkest of times. The smallest glowing tip of an incense stick stands out in a dark room, and can be the spark that creates a great fire. Even if we turn away from the light, it is always there.

And the light is love.

At the weekend I listened to John Grant’s Album Grey Tickles, Black Pressure. On the first track someone reads from 1 Corinthians:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I was moved to tears. Why? Because pure love is like this, but human love is not always like this. We are impatient, unkind, we do envy and boast, we are proud…

And yet pure love is always coming towards us. Amida is pure love. When we say ‘Namo Amida Bu’ we are putting ourselves in the path of pure love, or reminding ourselves that it is always illuminating us. Pure love is limitless. In the Larger Pureland Sutra it says, “It issues from a cause inexhaustible… the Tathagata’s compassion never runs dry”

The light is always flowing towards us. We don’t need to hold on to it, because there is always more coming our way.

Sometimes we are inspired by this light and act in selfless ways, giving without wanting anything in return, spontaneously acting for the sake of others, giving the light away. Sometimes our love is tainted by selfishness.

We are creatures of light and dark, and we are always in the path of pure love.

Caroline
      Participant

Namo Amida Bu.

Beautiful and true.

Thank you Kaspa x

Namo Amida Bu.

That was the reading at my daughters wedding last week.

I hope it was a good occasion! I think that verse has been read at all the church weddings I have been too 🙂

Ian Summers-Noble
      Participant

Thank you Kaspa – love it 🙂 NAB

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you for sharing this Kaspa😀 …..giving and loving without the self, natural and spontaneous, never depleted, limitless love 😀

It was a lovely occasion. And yes it does get used quite a lot.

Vajrapala Moerman
      Participant

Namo Amida Bu

Thank you Kaspa, very moving.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.