Skip to toolbar

Quinces preserved in syrup

Site-Wide Activity Forums Kitchen Vegan Cakes & Desserts Quinces preserved in syrup

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I’m spending a lot of time at the moment bottling quinces before they go bonky. I’m using a French recipe. They are delicious on breakfast porridge.
      peel and chop the quinces or other fruit, keep them in a big bowl of water so they won’t go too brown, put them into empty jars (re-use any metal screw top glass jars, so long as the seal is still in good condition). Fill the jars with fresh water, then measure it out into a pan, using a measuring jug so I know how much water I’ve used. Put the empty jars and lids in a huge pan of cold water. Bring it up to simmering point, then turn down the heat. Put a quarter of the quantity of water in the other pan of sugar. Turn on the heat and stir in the sugar. When it reaches boiling point, put in the fruit pieces. Stir continuously until it gets back upto boiling point, then boil for one minute. Turn off all the heat. Scoop out the hot jars with the handle of a wooden spoon. Use a slotted spoon and a metal funnel to put the fruit in the jars, then pour in the syrup. Scoop out the lids with a frying pan spatula and screw them tightly in place using oven gloves. Turn the jars upside down until they are cool. They should keep almost indefinitely.

I’ve never tried a quince…… you’re making me hungry!

I’ll try to remember to bring a jar when I’m next over. I just finished bottling them this morning.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.