Monday 29th October

Site-Wide Activity Forums Living Room Monday Nembutsu Monday 29th October

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Cheffings (temple host) 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Up early and so got to see the sun rise through my office window – grateful. Just finished writing my ‘Letter from Satya’ (here) after my daily five minutes of nembutsu, and thinking about going outside to get the bunnies up. We’re hoping to insulate their hutch today for the winter. Last night was an amazing evening of music from Awantika in a full shrine room – the video will be ready soon. I’d love to hear what you’re all up to…

Namo Amida Bu x

Yesterday I visited the Birmingham Buddhist Vihara in Ladywood. We celebrated Kathina the robe giving ceremony. I donated on behalf of Birmingham Amida Shu as a mark of respect.

Today I get to spend with two of my granddaughters my daughter and her new baby Hollie who is still in her stomach.

Tonight back to the Vihara for meditation so a very relaxed couple of days.

Namo Amida Bu.

Johnathan Robertson
    Participant

I’ve been in a bit of a hermit-mood lately. This morning, however, I realized that I’m enjoying college and writing again. I’ve been looking at the Dharma from the lens of communication and found an interesting new angle from which to view it. I hope everyone has a good week!

Namo Amida Bu

I missed last week’s Monday Nembutsu as I was on a residential Singing Leader course all week. We were on the go from 9.30 a.m. each day ’til 9.30 at night with lots of input during this daily period. As a result I looked at very little, as any remaining time was needed for digesting what I had been given. The community building where we did the training has a meditation room and some days I managed to do a short morning and night nembutsu practice there. On days when the course ran beyond 9.30 I made do with just the morning session and went straight to bed. I shared some of what I’ve been working on with the Malvern Temple Community Choir with the international participants (Ireland, Australia, Scotland, England, Wales, Pennsylvania, Holland, Sweden) and a little Amida Shu service liturgy and ritual. In return I got song gifts from all these sources and more. I found ways of preparing the voice (maybe for nembutsu) using the nembutsu, breathing and movement which could be useful if I’m working with the nembutsu and the voice for more extended periods, and learned ways to enrich singing using the visual modality through visualisation. I’ve tried doing a little work with this with added auralisation, listening to Amida’s choir in the Pure Land Calling the nembutsu, then calling back my response, something I can use when I get forgetful and stale, or just for the sheer beauty of it. In the meditation room, Amitabha Buddha sat in His Pure Land with Seishi and Kuan Yin in a beautiful painting on one wall. Jesus crucifixion occupied another, Yahweh occupied a third. On the fourth side, a window overlooked the garden. The garden is mainly woodland and some tiny deer have taken up residence there. As I got up before everyone else in order to visit the meditation room I was at breakfast on my own and as I sat quietly in the house on a couple of mornings I was able to watch the shy deer grazing the grass on the edge of the woodland. Namo Amida Bu!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar