Great intentions.

Site-Wide Activity Forums Art Room Share your creations Great intentions.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rev. Satya Robyn (temple host) 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Dayamay
    Participant

The power of intentions is a topic that comes up regularly  for me and always provides me with food for thought. In a recent service I was struck by the gravity of the Bodhisattva vows that we sing as part of our liturgy. ”Innumerable are sentient beings: We vow to save them all.”. This is no small order, in fact it sounds impossible, but the verse conveys a conviction which is inspiring and intriguing.  I have heard these words many times but this time there was an extra emphasis, a deeper dimension of meaning which seemed to be imbued in them. I thought of a Dharma talk from the past that stuck in my mind as a useful resource for times of doubt and fear.  An analogy of a great conflagration consuming the world and a compassionate being armed with only a bucket of water and a kind heart, determined to make a difference by easing the suffering of others. The fire goes out.  The good intention, followed by affirmative action, is enough to have a profound effect on the problem.
    This, I believe, is the nature of the spirit behind these sacred words, which at first might seem naively optimistic! And this is the nature of the Buddha Amida’s holy vows, which declare a similar sentiment towards the issue of suffering and a profound desire to save all beings. The Buddha speaks his vows with a confidence that leads us to believe that they are already fulfilled. The strength of his love for us determines the effectiveness of his intention to rescue us from the sea of affliction that is Samsara. It is done, we are saved. The love is enough, in the same way as a tiny pale of water is enough to extinguish a raging inferno, when compassion is the motivation for the action.
    This principle is very helpful for me at the moment, as I am in the training stages of a new job which puts me in a position of responsibility over some very vulnerable people. There is often a sense of being overwhelmed by an impossible predicament, but there is also a genuine desire and intention to contribute something useful to it. And a feeling that my efforts are not just futile gestures in the face of inevitable disaster, but in some inexplicable way, counterbalance the weight of the problem, making solution more possible.

Namo Amida Bu.

Namo Amida Bu. I love the way the Bodhisattva vows ask us to do something impossible – for me they are both an acknowledgement that we should try, and permission to fall short – although maybe sometimes as you say the water is magic water…

Dayamay
    Participant

Yes, exactly. I think it comes back to the fact that we don’t know the power of what we do because we don’t see the results, most of which are subtle beyond comprehension.  And as we know, all of our shortfallings can be utilized by Amida so I don’t think ‘failure’ is possible in this sense because the magic is in the love and compassion which i believe always comes from a higher source, Amida, Quan Yin…when we’re working in conjunction with Buddhas and Bodhisattvas we are as close as we’ll ever get to fulfilling the vows. That’s my personal feeling anyway.

Namo Amida Bu(  :

I find it hard to quite conceptualise how our shortfallings can be utilised, but I think it’s important for me to keep contemplating it – I’m so attracted to the idea of handing everything over during Chih Quan and the Buddha finding a use for it all. I guess maybe it could be a bit like in 12 step groups, when someone shares their awful suffering and someone else feels less alone as they recognise the exact quality of that suffering, or maybe when things go wrong and we learn just what we need to learn from them… but I feel I could even go a step further, how would it be to not get BENEFIT from the shortfallings but for them to have value AS THEY ARE? Any thoughts? Anyone else?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar