Any questions?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rev. Satya Robyn (temple host) 4 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

Here’s where you can post any questions about technique, practicalities, or the philosophy and theology that the nembutsu is embedded in.

This morning in the practice, I was aware of countless Buddhas throughout the universe chanting the Name. I felt carried by the sound, although it was silent. Later, it seemed like a key, thrown into the mental cell of my afflictions. Later, a wave of negative emotion obliterated the memory for a time. It is extraordinary that this piece of metal and plastic on which I type, and its connections via electricity and servers, cooled in the Scandinavian breeze, framed a return to the Nembutsu for me. Finding faith that many voices chant the Name away from this screen has not happened so well for me today. I was trying to formulate a question from this material but find none. Namo Amida Bu!

Hi!

Is it okay to perform silent sitting while reciting the Name in my mind, or is that too much like self-power and meditation? At what point do you truly realize that you are saved by Amida Buddha, and am I completely lost if I don’t have profound faith?

Johnathan Robertson
    Participant

Hello Jeaunice,

Silent nembutsu is quite a common practice among many pureland Buddhists I know and would not be a self-power practice. I do it from time to time when I want to practice quietly. It is said that Honen would say the nembutsu in his mind when he ate or talked to people. Personally, I don’t go that far but silent nembutsu is a very good practice, nevertheless. It is quite natural to do as, in my experience, the nembutsu pops up in my mind without my intention to say it.

Namo Amida Bu!

Hello Jeaunice,

I’m a bit of a universalist. Here’s a song I wrote:

The moon’s radiance somehow says, Amen, Amida.

Caught in the moon’s radiance,

All beings somehow call back, Amen, Amida.

Andrew

Hello Andrew!

Thank you for sharing that wonderful song.  It had such vivid imagery. It truly captured the saving grace of Other power. I appreciated it. I have a question for you. I see you included Amen and Amida in the song. Is it possible to believe in God and be embraced by Amida Buddha?

The only reason I ask, is that I am a bit universalist myself. While I practice my Pure Land faith at home and during my daily life, I also occasionally attend an Episcopal Church to celebrate the Great Mystery that some call God and for me is Amida Buddha. I offer my worship at the Episcopal Church as an offering to Amida.  I grew up in the Christian tradition, but I am not much for the hellfire and brimstone interpretation of Christianity. The experience did generate in me a spirit of devotion, so when I found Pure Land Buddhism I was simply thrilled.  I know that my practice of nembutsu and attending a Christian church may be unorthodox to some, but I have always believed that there is something to learn from all the major world religions.  I believe there is Truth in each one. I am not one for exclusivity. Still my Pure Land faith and taking refuge in the Buddha comes first.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Hello Jeaunice,

I have been part of many religious practices in my life: Methodism, Quakerism, Tibetan Buddhism, Tri Ratna Buddhism, Soto Zen Buddhism, Pureland Buddhism. I have had for me profound experiences in all of them. I don’t want to deny any of these experiences as they are a part of me, nor do I want to reattribute them to whatever my focus is at the moment – I don’t want to disrespect my child-self by saying, ‘that wasn’t God, that was the Buddha’. When it comes to absolute reality, I have no idea. I try to do my best and honour my intuition, instincts and personal spirituality. If at the end of this I end up in hell – well I will know I was true to myself, and I’m not sure what else I can be. Namo Amida Bu

Beautifully put Andrew. I feel very grateful to be in this ‘broad church’ – it’s not common!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar