Anger and stress management

Site-Wide Activity Forums Therapy room Buddhist Psychology Anger and stress management

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paolo 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Paolo
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I got a difficult question: as Buddhists, but above all as human beings, how do you cope with anger and stress? I guess that suppress them is totally wrong, but it isn’t also a great idea to lash out like crazy. I believe that the worst misinterpretation of buddhist teachings about anger is the stereotype of “a calm, zen-like individual which rises above worldy passions”: we all have to live in this world -at least, for this life 🙂 American zen master and author, Brad Warner, explains that the best thing to do is to stay with the anger as it arises: never suppress it, but don’t act under its influence. Tich Nath Han, on his side, suggests to treat rage with kindness as a crying baby. I found them both to be very good ways, altough I’m more on the Brad Warner’s side – but, in the end, I often act like Donald Duck 🙂

Hi Paulo,

Brad’s advice is good, as is Thich Nhat Hanh’s. I would add that anger and stress come from moments without faith – they are self-strategies for keeping us safe in the short-term. Of course anger has it’s own good intentions but it often doesn’t have all of the facts. For a Pureland Buddhist one of the most important facts is that we are assured of rebirth in the Pureland, so ultimately there is nothing to worry about – so practising nembutsu  – keeping the Buddha in mind – can be an antidote to stress and anger.

I do like the idea of anger as a crying baby – because our faith is not perfect – we are bound to fall into these states sometimes – but Amida’s love is exactly for people like us – just like a good mothers love for her baby.

Hope that makes sense – it reads back as a slightly confused answer – but I am at the end of a long week, and the puppy is keeping us up at night 🙂

Paolo
    Participant

Thank you Kaspalita for the answer. And yes, it totally makes sense, despite the puppy caused sleep deprivation 🙂 Anyway, I agree with the fact that anger is a short term strategy for self protection, altough we have to manage it someway. On the faith side, well, I’m new to this concept and I have to feel it much deeper. Actually, I recognized something of myself in your chapter about your experience in Pure Land Buddhism in the book “Just as you are”: I started as a materialist, then approached Buddhism in its more apparently “scientific” forms, and now I’m turning much more spiritual so…who knows, maybe one day I will develop enough faith to keep an emotional balance.

Anonymous

Hi Paolo . In a way similar to brad Warner’s method I was taught a while back to treat it like a spoilt child wanting attention. Just observe/view it and give it attention then it can calm down . Another method is distraction. These work sometimes in varying degrees .

Namo Amida Bu

Paolo
    Participant

Hi Ken, thank you for the answer and excuse me for being in late. Well I agree with you, distraction can be a good way out of anger.

Anonymous

Paola, Kaspalita, and Ken I truly found this conversation to be very helpful. Often I am overwhelmed by anger and stress. In the past, I use to feel guilty for having those feelings, because I believed the misguided stereotype of the “calm zen student”, that rose above anger perfectly. Obviously I was confused about Buddha’s teaching on the matter. Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding. This makes me hopeful for the future.

Paolo
    Participant

Hi Jeaunice,

thank you very much, I’m glad that this discussion helps. I started it because I’m very weak in matter of anger and stress management – expecially if the two factors are combined. Also, to be honest, I find all of this “mindfulness calming exercises” to be a misinterpretation of Buddhism: it seems to be a placebo, just a pill against the stress caused by the often unsane and hurried society in which we all live. And there’s nothing to be ashemed about feeling disappointed and angry; it’s a part of our nature, also if it is unpleasant. Again, in my humble opinion, I believe that Buddhism isn’t about hiding the dirt under a carpet: quite the opposite, I find that the core of the teachings is about seeing things as they are. I am human, I am perfectly fallible, and I am 100% bombu. The result is that, as I write above, I often end up acting like Donald Duck – in fact, I laugh a lot when I watch him lashing out like crazy in his cartoons, because I’m like him 🙂 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar