Skip to toolbar

Amida Shu choice of colour and robes

Site-Wide Activity Forums Shrine Room Amida Shu Buddhist Practice Amida Shu choice of colour and robes

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Good morning – I have a few questions about the robes that members of the Amida Shu wear.

First,  who wears the various robes,  lay ministers, priests, anyone wanting to create a seperated space in their daily life when conducting ritual or chanting ?

Second, what are the design of the robes taken from  –  what pieces and componants make up the robes

Third,  what is the story behind the colours of the robes-  I see many of the people in the photos wearing maroon / burgundy red clothing western without robes  and people wearing red burgundy  robes and some with yellow stripes  –

What is special about the particular colour –

Thank you in advance to whoever tackles these questions for me –

Peace and light  –

Om i tuo fu.
      Namo Amida Bu

We do not have lay ministers – the members of the Order are lay Mitras who do not wear robes, Gankonin(junior Ministers)/Ministers and Amitaryas. The robes are given during the ordination ceremony.

Ministers wear a red robe with yellow – Gankonin a half robe, which becomes full when they confirm their vocation in a further ceremony.

Amitaryas a red robe.

No other members of the Shu or Order wear robes.

All members of the Shu and Order have a ‘mini-robe’ called a wagesa (wagessa), similarly bestowed during a ceremony – so do aspirants and postulants who are usually members of the Shu too.

All reds are bright, not maroon.

The red and yellow/red denote the setting sun – Amida’s direction is in the West.

All Buddhist robes are made from a number of pieces- Shakyamuni’s robe was made from pieces of rag from the charnel grounds.

The particular pattern was devised within the Order many years ago.

:: explore Amida Shu

:: about the Shu and Order

:: about the Order

:: how one joins the Shu

:: about the Ministers

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.