You are beautiful beyond measure

Site-Wide Activity Forums Shrine Room Buddhist Teachings You are beautiful beyond measure

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Johnathan Robertson Johnathan Robertson 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

blue buddhaYou are flawed, you are stuck in old patterns, you become carried away with yourself. Indeed you are quite impossible in many ways. And still, you are beautiful beyond measure. ~ John Welwood

As I type, a blackbird is singing his heart out as dusk comes on. I spent three hours this morning in our shrine room, doing the same. Chanting Amida’s name with Kaspa, Emma, Wendy, Jen, Rob, Fi and Adam as a way of connecting with something infinitely compassionate and wise.

It is a powerful practice. As I sat, the usual mental chatter arose. Oh, there aren’t as many people here as there were last time. That person is singing out of tune. Why am I doing this again? When can I go and eat chocolate and watch television?

I am quite impossible in many ways. This practice puts this foolish being into relationship with something that accepts me just as I am. Whether we see this ‘something’ as the gaze of the Buddha, the Good in the Universe or the spirit of blackbirds doesn’t matter. What matters is being honest about our flaws, and feeling loved anyway. If we can get even a small taste of this, we can begin to pass it on to others. This is our most important work.

I’d like to pass on the merit from this morning’s practice to you all – my precious sangha, reading these words in different parts of the world. My teacher says that merit can be seen as ‘happy mind’ – the joy and peace that we generate through our practice gets passed on to whoever needs it most. I hope you can feel it.

Profile photo of Johnathan Robertson
    Johnathan Robertson
    Participant

Thank you Satya, I will be able to pass it on here in Maryland.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar