What's your right size?

Site-Wide Activity Forums Shrine Room Buddhist Teachings What's your right size?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Nicholls (Temple Host) 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

These are a couple of pines from the famous gardens at Tenryu-ji in Kyoto. What perfect weather we had for exploring!

These pines are just the right size – they don’t pretend to be bigger or smaller than they are – how unlike us!

This morning I read a story from Dogen’s collection Shinji Shobogenzo.

Layman Ho-on came full of praise for Master Baso’s enlightened state, and asked him to say something uplifting about ‘original nature’

Master Baso looked down. Ho-on then praised this teaching, how wonderfully you express the dharma. Master Baso then looked up.

Later Ho-on said to Baso – I played at being skilful but found out how unskillful I am.

What’s that all about?

Baso undermined Ho-on’s view once, and then undermined his view again. When you want uplifting I look down, and when you praise looking down I look up.

I don’t think he was being contrary for the sake of it. He may have simply been expressing how difficult it is to truly know the dharma – but I think there is also something here about being right sized.

Ho-on heaps praise on the Master – who looks down – I imaging him frowning (in a silly, mugging way). I am not up there on the pedestal you put me on.

Ho-on then praises the Master’s hang-dog expression. The Master looks up, I imagine him grinning – I’m not down there either.

What is your right size? When you know your foolishness and your capacity for love you will know.

A Buddhist teacher once said to me: confidence and humility are the same.

Namo Amida Bu.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar