What is your question for the Buddha?

Site-Wide Activity Forums Shrine Room Amida Shu Buddhist Practice What is your question for the Buddha?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Cheffings (temple host) Andrew Cheffings (temple host) 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

BuddhaThis morning in service I gave this meditation instruction:

“Imagine sitting peacefully with the Buddha and, after a little while, ask him a question. Don’t grasp for any answers, but just to enjoy sitting with the Buddha and with your question. Notice what arises.”

My question to the Buddha was:

– What can I do for you?

The answer came almost immediately:

– You don’t have to do anything.

Two tears made their way down my cheeks as I sat with this answer. It was only near the end of the meditation period that another phrase arrived:

– You can love.

This was an invitation, not an instruction. It wasn’t necessary. After sitting for a while and feeling accepted and loved, it felt possible to love – no, not just possible, but natural, like the tears that blossomed and fell.

What is your question? If you can’t think of the right question, the Buddha will help you with that too. Do share it below or, if you’d like to keep it private, let us know that you’ll be joining us in this practice.

Profile photo of Adam
    Adam
    Participant

Thanks Satya. I had a little experience as well. I sat with my question, “what would you like me to do?” which was more focussed on my work predicament than anything else, and found myself offering prompts for the answer. In other words, trying to project my desires onto the meditation in order to get the result that I wanted to hear. I quickly realised that this was the case and instead, just sat with a visualisation of Amida that I keep in mind and use a lot. After service I was wondering back into my room and thinking about how Amida might show me his will for me. I stopped for a couple of seconds when I got into my room, said “Namo Amida Bu” and then immediately noticed that I’d been holding my wegassa(correct spelling?) all the time. Of course I took this as the answer. To pursue my faith by whatever means available to me. This made me feel better about my situation
    as I am practicing a philosophy of: to do whatever is put in front of me to the best of my ability! Since that’s exactly what I’m doing, I’m confident that this is Amida’s will. Somewhat tainted by Adam’s foolishness, but close enough for me and hopefully Amida too. Thanks for the meditation! Namo Amida Bu( :

Think the question for me is;

“is there anything I should do?”

This is a question that I ask all the time. Sometimes when I’m at home with family on my own and even at work.

I hope that the answer is in the way in which I live my life.

Great question, Andrew. Ah, Adam – felt very moved by reading this – how cunning of Amida to keep you holding onto your wagessa! Very happy to have you here in the temple doing whatever is put in front of you with grace. See you for dinner soon, when I think we might be both seeing Shenyen’s lovely meal in front of us and doing the sensible thing : )

Profile photo of Mat Osmond
    Mat Osmond
    Participant

Thank you Satya. I like the whole spirit of your invitation, very much. Carried it around with me today. Felt a bit overwhelmed at first, noisy questions all tripping over each other. Then chanting the Quan Shi Yin Sadhana this evening, the question came:

How to use the years I have left?

Sounds a bit melodramatic, but that’s the one.  Like you Adam, work is a good part of it.

Only occurs to me now that I found no answer, being so pleased to have found the question.

🙂

Profile photo of Steve Durham
    Steve Durham
    Participant

My question is: How do I relate to you (Amida Buddha) on a daily basis?  That is to say: Is this a “personal” relationship?

What can I do to help you to change this difficult situation?

After a while, a smile and a feeling of great warmth, then Sange Mon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar