Peace and Light from Hamilton Scotland

Site-Wide Activity Forums Entrance hall Introductions Peace and Light from Hamilton Scotland

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 days, 13 hours ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Good evening all –

My name is Jennifer and if you could hear it, my accent would give away that I am not originally from Scotland.  I was born in Germany and raised in the States before becoming a British Citizen some years ago.

My interest in Buddhism stems from an interest in the spiritual and desire for ‘at-one-ment’ with the Divine both within and without.  The path I am walking has led me through some incredibly rich and textured religions and expressions of human and Devine love.

Because of my love for so many pieces from different religions my spiritual practice became very much like a pick and mix – full of colours and flavours but lacking in the ability to deeply connect outside of it to any particular community.

My search is for depth and authentic expression and the ability to share experience in meaningful ways with others.  To celebrate community and sangha.

My desire for ‘authentic’ expression is not a search for a particular religion with lineage or heritage but the ability to balance the essence of the teachings with rituals that both honour their heritage and continue to evolve with us as we grow a human species.

When I am not pondering those deep subjects you may find me weaving , spinning, teaching workshops, flying a commercial drone or making video content.

I am looking forward to meeting you all and exploring the Pure Land Sangha –

Peace and Light

Om í tuó fó

Hi Jennifer lovely to meet you and hear about some of your journey. I’m interested in what you say about the pros and cons of being inspired by lots of different faiths and wanting to find a community and rituals where depth is possible. My own experience is that I am hugely inspired by teachings from Christian and other Buddhist teachers, but that Pureland Buddhism (and particularly this group) is my ‘home’, from which I can go forth and always return. The liturgy, the nembutsu, the people I connect with, all take on a richer and broader texture as I get to know them better and better. Of course, that’s not always easy ; ) but I’m very glad I’m still here and the difficult times have mostly added to the beauty of what I receive now.

How far are you from Sujatin? My geography is terrible. Have you heard about the 30 days of nembutsu free email course? If you have any other questions do ask and I look forward to getting to know you better. Namo Amida Bu.

Anonymous

Hello Rev Satya – thank you for your warm words.

I live in Ferneigair below Hamilton – which is south of Glasgow and nearly 2 hours from Rev Sujatin –

I too feel inspired by the teachings of Yeshuah (Jesus) and the Buddha.
    Without the “ism” and “ist” applied to their teachings the core message was very parallel.   Both said they came to teach people to be free and to have life more abundantly.

On authenticity, I think  it is easy to want to belong to a tradition or practice which feels authorized or legitimate because of established longevity but in our global community authenticity has to transcend historic practice.

I am a fan of Lama Marut, a professor from the States who was a monk and has put aside his robes to continue teaching in a less dogmatically defined way.   In his description of lineage he points out –
    “I believe that the question of spiritual lineage has become exceedingly complicated in the postmodern world. Things are no longer like they once were in closed societies like traditional Tibet and India where people were much more parochial, provincial, and unaware of the whole range of religious and cultural alternatives. Our world is a much bigger and diverse place.
    In any case, it seems questionable that there ever were such things as “pure and unbroken lineages” in such traditional societies. Any such claim seems to have functioned as a convenient fiction and polemical stratagem designed to assert authority, and was rarely if ever a factual account of the historical and genealogical record.
    We live in a global community of instantaneous communication; we reside in nation-states that are increasingly multicultural and religiously diverse. My own religious sensibility has been shaped by a variety of influences, and I suspect that is the case for most of us living in such cosmopolitan settings. It seems far more honest to just admit this and lay aside the conceit of any sort of “unbroken” or “pure” lineage.”(http://lamamarut.org/about/inspiration-and-lineage/)

I am looking for community who honors the heritage and balances that with modern understanding in practice.

For my explorations I have signed up for the introductory class to learn more about Amida Shu and its expressions of faith and practice.

Looking forward to learning and sharing !

Jen

Om i tuo fo
    Amida Bu

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar