On seeking the perfect lunch

Site-Wide Activity Forums Living Room General chit chat On seeking the perfect lunch

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rev. Satya Robyn (temple host) 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

This is the 3rd of my ‘Letters from Satya’ – if you’d like to receive one every week you can sign up here.

———————–

Hello petal.

Yesterday Kaspa & I set off to the river for our sabbath, which we always take on a Monday. It’s been a long week full of people, tasks & complications, as our weeks often are.

We found a spot by the river where we could read our books, even though it wasn’t perfect, and then we started seeking lunch.

It was our precious day off, and I wanted the perfect lunch. We were in a not-very-vegan-friendly town, and I am a fussy diner (I prefer to use the word connoisseur). We walked up and down, getting hungrier.

I have noticed that I often start getting into trouble when I seek the perfect lunch, or the perfect anything. It mostly happens when I am trying to comfort myself, or avoid feeling something – “I’ll be okay if…”.

It also has the unfortunate effect of narrowing my vision to such an extent that I start missing all sorts of opportunities, gifts and beautiful things.

We eventually settled on chips, and a roll from a bakery. My roll was stale, and so I gave most of it to the eager ducks and pigeons. The chips were fresh, crisp, salty & delicious. A simple lunch. Perfect.

Later that evening I was angry, then sad, and then slowly the clouds passed. I walked in the garden, and the universe gifted me this glorious pink-orange rose. How can we say yes to it all?

Things you might be curious about

* Can you remember a time when you wanted the perfect something? How did it work out for you?
    * In what areas of your life are you more likely to seek perfection?
    * Why might you be seeking perfection? What might you be covering up or avoiding?
    * How would it be to accept everything the universe offers you?

Wholeness does not mean perfection – it means embracing brokenness as an integral part of life. ~ Parker J Palmer

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar