My new newsletter & my new top!

Site-Wide Activity Forums Living Room General chit chat My new newsletter & my new top!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rev. Satya Robyn (temple host) 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

Today I am wearing my brand new red top. It has strawberries on it!

Happiness can be uncool, especially when it’s about simple things. I do feel like a five year old. When Kaspa first saw me, I stood pointing at it, grinning like an idiot, until he got the hint and said it looked nice.

I think this is why we sometimes shy away from expressing our joy at trifles (in both senses of the word). We might ‘oooh!’ at the extravagent moon, and then turn with expectation to our friend’s blank face. We might remember being laughed at long ago for our happy hysteria at receiving an ice-cream, or our devastation when it was gone.

If we deny ourselves these simple happinesses, we are missing out on a good portion of the treasure the world has to offer us.

Sophisticated pleasures are wonderful too, of course. There’s nothing like the fight to comprehend a difficult text, the satisfaction of teasing out complicated theological concepts with a learned friend, or the bittersweet taste of an art film.

I also love spotting ladybirds, and silly jokes. (Get it?) I get very excited at fireworks and Ru Paul’s Drag Race and the giant vegetables section in country shows. I am rarely happier than when I hang out with the bunnies and watch one of them grooming the other, eyes half-closed in bliss.

I would like to speak up for silly, simple, sometimes-over-excitable happinesses. Have you seen my new top?

Things you might be curious about

* What were you taught about happiness when you were growing up? What did you learn about what when or what it was appropriate to feel happy about?
    * When do you suppress your happiness to manipulate the impression you’re giving to others or to yourself?
    * How could you practice allowing happiness to bubble up in you more often?

As the years pass, I am coming more and more to understand that it is the common, everyday blessings of our common everyday lives for which we should be particularly grateful. They are the things that fill our lives with comfort and our hearts with gladness – just the pure air to breathe and the strength to breath it; just warmth and shelter and home folks; just plain food that gives us strength; the bright sunshine on a cold day; and a cool breeze when the day is warm. ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

This is the second of  my new weekly newsletters, ‘Letters from Satya’. I’ll be writing about Buddhist themes as well as slowing down, being foolish, books, bunny rabbits etc. You’d be welcome to join me every week: sign up here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar