Monday 2nd July

Site-Wide Activity Forums Living Room Monday Nembutsu Monday 2nd July

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Cheffings (temple host) 2 weeks ago.

• Author

It’s actually Wednesday today. I continue to empty the water butt on the allotment and plants seem to be shrinking rather than growing. The results of work are evaporating with the ground water. We are warned to expect more extreme weather events. Early spring with its alternation of extreme cold and heat was a herald for the current dryness. The material world is not fixed and in trying to make it more so, we have made it more unpredictable. I continue to water, just trying to keep a few key things alive. Will it rain before we run out of water? I have no idea. Namo Amida Bu!

Namo Amida Bu. Good to read this Andrew as I feel I am not alone in worrying about how many things we can keep alive! I see no rain on the horizon and can’t even imagine it happening… my friend advised me to just do what I can and let go, and I’m doing that – taking water down to the crisping acer, but leaving most of the rest at the bottom of the temple garden to fend for themselves. We’re already doing an hour of watering a day (veg patch, pots, hanging baskets). We are so at the mercy of mother nature, and we have treated her badly…

I’m still enjoying the garden, dry as it is, and the flowers that Kris finds to put on the shrine each week. I’m also looking forward to this Saturday when we’ll meet with other Order members to discuss our faith and practice.

Love to all.

Walking back from our allotment last night with Ian on the now dry, yellow grass path, after watering a few key plants, I was reminded of African stories I have read with people praying for rain. Luckily, at the moment, we don’t rely on food from the allotment, we have the resources to buy vegetables and fruit when we need to. Living this luxury life in England where a long, warm, dry period can be enjoyed without the worry of where the next meal will come from, while I water our dry allotment, I feel more conscious of the reality for most of human kind and all the other water-reliant beings. Namo Amida Bu!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar