Hello!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Michael 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Michael
    Participant

Greetings! Thank you for adding me to the community. I look forward to participating here. I have just started the “30 days of nembutsu” program. When that’s finished, I see you have a course in Pure Land Buddhism I might consider taking.

Why am I here? The simple answer is that I am working on a master’s degree in theology. I am taking some comparative religion courses and learning more about Buddhism. Through a series of web clicks, I found myself on the Amida Shu webpage, and was attracted to the way you simply explain quite difficult concepts. This also seems to be a kind group of people. Studying philosophy and theology is often quite “wordy,” and chanting the Name seems quite simple and warm. I like that.

The deeper answer is that I am, like most of us, still searching for understanding and connection in an increasingly divisive world. I’m interested in ‘engaged’ Buddhism, progressive Christianity, and other approaches to faith that seek to make a difference in the world right now, rather than in some future heaven. I’m curious how Pure Land Buddhism approaches these issues of social justice.

It appears I am in the “middle” of the other Amida Shu folks here in the US – I live near Kansas City, which is “between” Hawaii and Maryland. Still, it’s good to know this work is spreading here.

Well, I will continue reading and learning. I look forward to getting to know you better!

Thank you,
    Michael

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for introducing yourself – I’m pleased that you found your way here from the thirty days course – Amdia Shu has traditionally been involved in social action and social projects – less so at the moment – but there is always a impulse to reflect the light into this world.

You may be interested to see the precept I have most recently asked our aspirants (trainee priests) to reflect upon:

to hold ceaselessly to the vision of a Pure Land and to make common cause with those seeking to bring forth an enlightened world where the three poisons no longer hold sway and all beings enjoy respect and find fulfilment. The vision of unimpeded light shining upon us from the future will always guide my steps.

Ananda
    Participant

Welcome and Aloha Michael! I have never been to Kanas City though I have traveled extensively across the continental US. Glad to you have joined the site. Namo Amida Bu!

Johnathan Robertson
    Participant

Welcome Michael. Thank you for joining us. Good luck in your studies. Namo Amida Bu!

Hi Michael, good to hear more about you – your studies sound fascinating. If you did ever want a little taste of our practice we can either Skype you in to one of our usual services, or I do a half hour online service every Thursday 8pm UK time at http://www.facebook.com/amidamandala.com. Hope you find things to interest you here – there are lots of wonderful teachings in the ‘shrine room’ and friendly folk around. Here, have a cup of tea 🙂

Michael
    Participant

Thank you all for the welcome! I look forward to participating and learning more as I work through the 30 day course. I will see if I can manage a ‘virtual’ visit to your Facebook Live service on an upcoming Thursday!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar