Growing veggies – advice please!

Site-Wide Activity Forums Garden Growing veggies – advice please!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Acharya Sujatin (temple host) 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Although this won’t be for a while, once the garden starts to warm up, I’m going to have a few raised beds built on the only flattish part of the garden, outside the shrine room. In total something like 6 – 10 sq metres. We get veggie boxes from a nearby organic farm and I want to keep them in business too. Also I’ll have to take account of Scotland being a lot colder than where many of you are gardening. If I want to concentrate on things that are ‘special’ or normally expensive to buy, what would you advise I start with? I used to grow a lot when I was in London, several decades ago – much warmer! Also only ‘ordinary’ seeds were available – not the vast variety you can get now.

Also, out of interest, I’m going to put in some fruit trees, probably next autumn as I think I’ve missed the planting window. This is the soft fruit area of Scotland and the hillside where I am was once all orchards, which were taken out when the houses were built. I have room to replace a number.

David Hope
    Participant

It is important to fill the beds with the best possible growing medium. Will you be using garden soil? If  so, is it sand-, clay- or limestone- based, or a deep, very rich loam? Depending on the ‘heart’ of your soil, you may need to add a lot of compost. In Worcestershire, we’re fortunate in having a source of municipal compost, made by the council from green waste delivered by people to local collection points.

Namo Amida Bu

I’ll have to check! I don’t have enough garden soil – we are on Kinnoull hillside and the soil is very shallow. The hill is covered in woodland. I’m making lots of compost with bokashi bran, have 2 huge tubs so far and will keep adding that as I make more. I’ll have to get other growing medium from Glendoick garden centre and can ask what Branklyn Garden uses – we’re just up the hill from them – they’re closed at the moment.

Vajrapala Moerman
    Participant

Dear Sujatin,

We – in Belgium –  have fine results with artichoke, which is rather difficult to find in shops and maybe also rather expensive.

Other ideas are : the green leaf vegetables such as endive, arugula, spinach, parsley, chervil, chard grows very well here and also very long .

And maybe beetroot and zucchine? that grows very good here….

Dependant form the type off ground you have….

we have sand-lime and we have also much sun, which is very important.

Namo Amida Bu

Vajrapala

Thank you – great ideas!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar