Chinese Pureland

Site-Wide Activity Forums Shrine Room Buddhist Q&A Chinese Pureland

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Acharya Kaspalita (temple host) 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Shoyo Fernandes
    Participant

I have been focussing on the unity of Buddhism rather than the difference. However, is there a difference between Chinese Pureland and Amida-shu?

Hi Shoyo,

Thanks for your question. I’m just commenting to say I have seen it and will give some time to it next week.

Hi Shyoyo,

I’m not a Chinese Pureland Buddhist – so do bear that in mind in my answer.

In Amida Shu Buddhism we are not the Buddha. The Buddha is infinite in scope, and we are finite, fallible and vulnerable. The  Buddha is the moon, and we occasionally remember to look up at the moon and see that its light is already illuminating us.

Sometimes, when our own ‘ego lights’ darken, others look at us and see the moonlight clearly reflected in our eyes, and we may be as Buddhas for them. In our own hearts we know that we are foolish beings. Our core foolishness is thinking of ourselves as more (or less, but usually more) than we are.

Nembutsu then is sometimes a prayer to remind us to look up to the moon, and sometimes a thank you that we are already illuminated by it’s light.

In Amida Shu nembutsu is not about the collection of merit or the transformation of karma, we are relying on the unending merit of the Buddha which is already lifting us into the Pure Land. Karma is often transformed, but the great awakening happens in the midst of karma, and does not free us completely from its grasp. The Buddha loves us just as we are.

I sometimes have the impression that Chinese Pureland Buddhism is about working towards becoming Amida, and that the nembutsu is a cleansing or purifying act.

Do let me know if you have any more questions,

Kaspa

P.S. When I say ‘in Amida Shu’ what I really mean is, ‘this is my understanding of what Dharmavidya teaches’.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar