Amida shu, Jodo shinshu

Site-Wide Activity Forums Shrine Room Buddhist Q&A Amida shu, Jodo shinshu

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Acharya Sujatin (temple host) Acharya Sujatin (temple host) 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wayne Otter
    Wayne Otter
    Participant

I was wondering if there were any major diferences in approaches or practices between Amida shu and  Jodo shinshu?

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Wayne Otter Wayne Otter.

Good question, Wayne.

I’d be interested in how different people answer this and have forwarded it out to a few folk.

As a start… Amida-shu encompasses teachings from different schools including Jodo-shinshu, Jodo-shu and other Pureland teachings. I could say a lot more but I’m not sure how to say it all… I’m going to pass the baton on!

Profile photo of Ian Summers-Noble
    Ian Summers-Noble
    Participant

Hi Wayne

Have been wondering the same.  Although I have issue with Amazon’s exploitative work practices with it’s employees (or are they ’employees’?!), I’ve been buying books from US through it which are Shin eg Taitetsu Unno’s books, Jeff Wilson’s ‘Buddhism of the Heart’, Suzuki’s ‘Buddha of Infinite Light’, Shigakari’s ‘Heart of the Shin Buddhist Path’.  Been wondering….but realised (a long while ago) that a major part of my delusion is that I’m unfortunately burdened with a tendency towards rational discriminative analysis!  I’ve loved the inspiration and wisdom from these books and ultimately isn’t it about intuitive faith, doing nembutsu, being/feeling love, compassion, gratitude in the interdependency/connectedness of beingness?  Sorry for being a wordy gobshite..I’m hoping to get over it and just live/love 🙂

Profile photo of David Brazier
    David Brazier
    Participant

In terms of faith in Amida and the nembutsu, there is no difference. There are differences at a more superficial level. 1. In Amida Shu there is relatively more emphasis upon ethics which we see as a reflection of faith whereas Jodoshinshu often take “precepts” etc to be “self-power” practices. 2. There are elements of Zen in our style of religious training. 3. In Amida Shu we tend to emphasise that Pureland teachings are “original Buddhism” deriving from Shakyamuni and to emphasise our commonality with Mahayana Buddhism as a whole, whereas, for historical reasons, Jodoshinshu has had to put some effort into distinguishing itself from other branches of the religion. 4. In Japan, Jodoshinshu distinguishes itself quite strongly at times from Jodo Shu, whereas from our perspective the differences are of minimal importance.

Thank you Dharmavidya.

Profile photo of Wayne Otter
    Wayne Otter
    Participant

Thank you David for making this clear.

Profile photo of Ian Summers-Noble
    Ian Summers-Noble
    Participant

Thank you Dharmavidya

Yes, thank you NAB

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar